Sunday, February 3, 2008

Peanut Butter Banana Muffins

Peanut Butter Banana Muffins

I'm enjoying the texture and flavor of Carole Walter's muffin recipes. These have mini chocolate chips, peanut butter, bananas, and salted peanuts. Kim says they taste like a peanut butter smoothie. They remind me of a peanut butter and banana sandwich. I'm going to take them to work and see how my coworkers like them.

Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
adapted from Carole Walter's Great Coffee Cakes, Sticky Buns, Muffins & More
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour, spooned in and leveled
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup (2/3 stick) unsalted butter, very soft
1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
1/2 cup very fresh dark brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup mashed banana (about 1.5 medium, very ripe bananas)
1/3 cup medium chopped salted Spanish peanuts
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
4 tsp sparking sugar, for sprinkling (I used demerara sugar)

1. Position the racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven. Heat the oven to 375F. Line 14 muffin cups with paper or foil cupcake liners.

2. In a medium bowl, thoroughly whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.

3. Combine the butter and peanut butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute.

4. Add the brown sugar, then the granulated sugar, and mix on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the egg and vanilla and mix for about 1 minute.

5. Combine the yogurt with the banana. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the dry ingredients alternately with the yogurt/banana mixture, dividing the flour in 3 parts and the yogurt mixture in 2 parts, starting and ending with the dry ingredients. Do not overmix.

6. Set aside 2 tbsp of the peanuts for garnishing. Remove the bowl from the mixer. Using a rubber spatula, fold the remaining peanuts and the mini chocolate chips into the batter.

7. Portion level scoops of the batter into the prepared pans using a no. 16 ice cream scoop (1/4 cup capacity). Sprinkle the top of each muffin with a scant 1/2 tsp of chopped peanuts and about 1/4 tsp of the sparkling sugar.

8. Bake for 25-27 minutes, or until the muffins are golden brown and the tops are springy to the touch. To ensure even baking, toward the end of baking time, rotate the pans top to bottom and front to back. Remove from the oven and place on a rack to cool. Store at room temperature, tightly wrapped in aluminum foil, for up to 3 days. These muffins may be frozen.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried the Banana-Date muffins this weekend. They were awesome! I was planning to have them for breakfast this week, but I had some friends over on Sunday and I left the muffins in the kitchen and someone found them and they were gone before I could say, "help yourselves". Eesh..

I happen to love peanut butter, and this recipe looks good. The recipe calls for only 1/2 cup mashed banana and I'm wondering if it's enough to bring out the banana flavor.

Pittsburgh Needs Eated said...

natalie-

I erred on the larger side of 1/2 cup, and I thought the taste was fine. I don't think i'd try adding more- these muffins are pretty dense to begin with, and I think too much banana would make them rubbery.

elaina v. said...

This co-worker LOVED them!
Thanks Lisa!

Pittsburgh Needs Eated said...

Awesome Elaina!
You can have baked things any time. I almost always have something sitting on the counter at home O.o

Brilynn said...

I may very well make these tonight, they sound amazing! I'm on a peanut butter kick...

Anonymous said...

Just made these tonight. I'm glad I read your response and didn't increase the amount of bananas.

They were divine right out of the oven, but for tomorrow morning, I'm going to heat them in the oven, to get the chocolate chips to melt a bit...that is if they actually make it for breakfast tomorrow...hah

Thanks so much for your sound advice and quick response!

test it comm said...

These muffins sound great. I really like the chocolate, peanut butter and banana flavour combo.

Gretchen Noelle said...

These *ROCK*!!! I just made them with a few slight alterations and...WOW! I will be posting soon and giving you *all* the credit. Yum. Yum. And Yum! Thanks!!!

Pittsburgh Needs Eated said...

glad you liked them gretchen! I'm always happy to hear when people enjoy recipes I post.