Friday, February 22, 2008

Oatmeal Raisin Muffins

Oatmeal Raisin Muffins

I'm steadily working my way through the Muffins & Quick Breads chapter of Carole Walter's latest book. I like the muffin recipes because they're not overly sweet or oily.

I picked these muffins for their simplicity. The easy combination of oatmeal, spices, raisins, walnuts, and buttermilk makes them great for breakfast. I'd suggest eating them the day they're made, or freezing and reheating them. After a day at room temperature they lose their delightfully crispy tops.

Yesterday one of my coworkers said, "Lisa, have you seen Stranger Than Fiction?" I told him I had, and ever since he's been calling me Miss Pascal (Maggie Gyllenhaal's character, who drops out of college to become a baker). He started laughing when I carried these muffins into the office. Word of my baking seems to have circulated.

Speaking of work, i'm busier than I expected to be this month. I missed a few blogging events i'd been hoping to try, and it's looking less and less likely that i'll complete this month's Daring Bakers challenge. It's a little dissapointing, but sometimes life gets a little crazy.

Oatmeal Raisin Muffins
adapted from Carole Walter's Great Coffee Cakes, Sticky Buns, Muffins & More

1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 cups old fashioned oats
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground allspice
2 large eggs
3/4 cup (lightly packed) dark brown sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup canola oil
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup dark raisins, plumped, drained, and patted dry
1/2 cup coarsely chopped toasted walnuts

1. Position the rack in the lower third of the oven. Heat the oven to 375F. Line a muffin pan with paper or foil cupcake liners.

2. Combine the flour, 3/4 cup of the oats, the baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Pulse 10 times. Empty into a large bowl and add 1/2 cup oats. Make a well in the center.

3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and brown sugar, then add the buttermilk, oil, and vanilla and pour the mixture into the well. Using an oversize rubber spatula, incorporate the mixtures by pushing them from the side of the bowl toward the center. Fold in the raisins and nuts. Let stand for 5 minutes.

4. Portion the batter into the prepared pan using a 1/4 cup capacity ice cream scoop. The batter should be filled to slightly below the top of the paper liner (about 3/4 full). Bake for 23-25 minutes, or until the muffins are golden brown and the tops are springy to the touch. Remove from the oven and place on a rack to cool. Store at room temperature, tightly wrapped in foil, for up to 5 days. These muffins may be frozen.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another great recipe from you! Oatmeal and buttermilk and walnuts are my favorite things for baked breakfast treats. It's funny you mentioned that movie because when I saw it, I immediately thought, "That's sooo me!" haha I guess we bakers think alike right? Judging by your blog though, I think you'd have a wonderful collection of baked treats.

Cannelle Et Vanille said...

I love the sound of all these ingredients for breakfast. It makes me feel warm and cozy inside. I should try it this weekend because I have some buttermilk in my fridge.
And I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I love your table! Is that your dining room table?
And I loved Stranger than Fiction too!

Gretchen Noelle said...

I am happy that you are working your way thru that book. It is to our benefit!!

tytty said...

hi, just found your blog and tot i said hi. i really like your photography of your saliva-drooling inducing food. and i like your short straight-to-the-point posts. looking forward to more <:

Anonymous said...

lovely photo! how many muffins does this recipe make? i might make it this weekend. thank you :)

Pittsburgh Needs Eated said...

Aran-

I love the table, but it belongs to my roommate (and she's taking it away in May!) I've been scouring craigslist for a similar table for myself.

Liz-

The recipe says it makes 12, but I find it makes more like 14.

pRiyA said...

made them just now. these are delicious. been following your blog for awhile now. i like the frankness and simplicity of your style.
:-)