Saturday, February 2, 2008

Apple Crumble Cakes

Apple Crumble Cakes

Apple Crumble Cakes

These photos don't communicate how delicious these cakes are fresh from the oven and topped with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream. I think I ate three in one go. I love the crunchy topping and the big chunks of apples and chestnuts.

I thought 8oz portions were too large. 6oz ramekins would work well for individual desserts and muffin tins make the cakes potable and good for snacking. The recipe yields 16-18 muffins, maybe more. I just eyeballed the portions and made sure not to fill the tins too full.

Apple Crumble Cakes with Chestnuts
adapted from Food and Wine Magazine

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts
2/3 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 cup turbinado sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
1 cup buttermilk
2 large Granny Smith apples—peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 cup roasted chestnuts, quartered
Sesame or vanilla ice cream
DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 350°. Place eight 8-ounce ramekins on a large rimmed baking sheet. In a bowl, toss the walnuts with the light brown sugar and cinnamon.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and baking soda. In a large bowl, blend the butter with the turbinado sugar, dark brown sugar and eggs. Gently stir in the flour mixture and buttermilk until blended, then fold in the apples and chestnuts.
Spoon the batter into the ramekins and sprinkle the walnut mixture on top. Bake for about 40 minutes, until the topping is browned and a cake tester inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean. Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes, then serve with a scoop of ice cream.

4 comments:

Annina said...

Hey! How are you?
My name is Annina (also called Ann) and I saw your blog on daring bakers and like it very much! I'm also a newbie there... and ya.. I added your blog to my link on my one: www.anninasfood.blogspot.com
Have a good evening!
Greetings from Switzerland, Annina

Anonymous said...

A long-time admirer of your blog - both the photos and the recipes - I have to ask: What kind of camera do you use? I have a digital Canon and it really just isn't doin' it for me. Then again, maybe I just need photography classes...

Pittsburgh Needs Eated said...

Miss Scarlett-

I use a Canon Rebel XTi.

Annina-

Thanks for the add! I have a friend studying in Lausanne right now- i'd love to see Switzerland sometime.

Annina said...

hey! you're welcome! ooh.. Lausanne is wonderful! It's one of my favourite citys here in Switzerland!! So.. just tell me if you will come! I will show you some veeery good coffeshops :D