Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Gingersnaps.

Gingersnaps

I finally ordered a copy of The Sweet Life: Desserts from Chanterelle. These gingersnaps won me over; I could eat the whole pile in one go.

These aren't snappy, toothbreaking gingersnaps: They're crisp right around the edges, but soft in the middle. I baked one batch for 10 minutes and the other for 15. The second batch had much crispier edges, but still stayed chewy.

The flavors are really well balanced. I like my gingersnaps with more cloves than usual, so the 1.5 tsps in this recipe was perfect.

Gingersnaps
adapted from The Sweet Life: Desserts from Chanterelle

18 tbsp butter, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
2 1/4 cups flour
2 tsp powdered ginger
1.5 tsp ground cloves
1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup molasses
1 cup raw sugar, or granulated sugar.

Place the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on medium speed for 1 minute. Add the light brown sugar and beat on medium-high speed until the mixture becomes fluffy and lighter in color, 6 to 8 minutes, stopping the mixer occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the eggs, one at a time, and continue to beat until they are fully incorporated and the batter looks smooth and glossy, 1 to 2 minutes.

In a dry bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Add the dry mixture, all at once, to the butter mixture. Using a rubber spatula, fold together for a few turns. With the mixter on slow speed, mix the dough until thoroughly combined, 1 minute.

Add the molasses and mix until incorporated. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Preheat the oven to 350. Line baking sheets with parchment or silicone. Place the raw sugar in a small bowl. Pinch off 1.5 inch pieces of batter and roll into balls. Roll each ball in the sugar to coat. Arrange the cookies on the prepared sheet 2 inches apart and press your thumb in the center of each cookie to flatten it a bit. Bake until the cookies spread, crack a bit, and take on a dark golden brown color, 10-15 minutes.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I'm commenting, I'm eating some gingersnaps from Trader Joe's (gasp!) Now I know they're not homemade, but I have to say how right you are that they're so much better crispy on the outside, soft on the inside. The kind I'm eating don't taste nearly as good as yours look!

Pittsburgh Needs Eated said...

I actually love Trader Joes Triple Ginger Snaps. :) Little crispy cookies are good sometimes too.

The Dalai Farmer said...

I'm going to give these a go in Suffolk, UK! Isn't the internet cool!

Jen said...

I finally got around to trying these; I've eaten enough to make me sick already... mmm... thanks for sharing the recipe :)


- Jen /pojz

Kelly Anne said...

Hey Lisi - do you think these would ruin if the dough was refrigerated overnight?

- KA

Anonymous said...

I made these this morning and they turned out great. Almost as perfect as the ones you fed me way back.

The dough can be refrigerated overnight sans problem.