Thursday, October 25, 2007

Fruit and Nut Bars

Fruit and Nut Bars
Fruit and Nut Bars from Alice Medrich's Cookies and Brownies.

I have two roommates. One of them loved these bars and the other said, "I think they look a little too healthy for me."

I think the apple anadama coffee cake also falls into the slightly too healthy category. Personally, I love baked goods with a high percentage of "stuff" in them, whether that's nuts, grains, fruits, etc. Unfortunately, these things don't move very quickly when you try to ditch them at work or class.

Maybe it's the slightly brown, healthy color or the large chunks of fruit that throws people off. I keep thinking "if they tried it, they'd like it! It tastes good!"

The office can be a strange place. Women will devour chocolate cupcakes with three inch thick frosting if someone says it's made with splenda, but they'll ignore a perfectly nice fruit bar. Hmph.

This recipe is available here.

4 comments:

Patricia Scarpin said...

You can ditch them my way, Lisa! :)

Anonymous said...

SO TRUE. I brought in a lovely plum cornmeal tea cake filled with big chunks of purple plum, very lightly sweetened. It didn't exactly fly off the counter in the kitchen at work.
Then someone brings in a Texas Sheet Cake from Cooking Light that had at least 2 c. of confectioners sugar in the frosting and that thing disappeared like nothing I've ever seen. Because it's "light." !?
I would try your fruit & nut bars any day!

Anonymous said...

What's wrong with these people?! They look excellent. Post them to England for me.

SDNorth said...

It's funny how people ignore healthy food- it's the addiction.
Great blog!