Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Fig Brownies with Brown Sugar Whipped Cream.

Fig Brownies w/ Brown Sugar Whipped Cream

Fig Brownies w/ Brown Sugar Whipped Cream

My love affair with Ficoco sent me on a google search for fig and chocolate recipes. My search yielded two noteworthy results.

1) God Hates Figs. (a spoof website ala godhatesshrimp.com)

2) A Double Chocolate Fig Slice Recipe.

Instead of soaking the figs in marsala, I soaked them overnight in dark rum (an -excellent- decision.) The resulting brownies were fudgy, adult, and richly studded with chunks of fig. I chopped the fruit pretty coarsely and used valrhona cocoa powder and 60% callebaut.

I used an 8" square pan, but I think a 9" might have been better as my brownies ended up too-underbaked in the very center. I'd love to eat them with some coffee ice cream next time!

10 comments:

Brilynn said...

Rum- good! Figs- good! Chocolate- good! These brownies are clearly amazing!

Anonymous said...

Brownies avec rum, plus le fig? C'est magnifique. Faced with the undeniable appeal of this recipe, I am forced to seduce several women with these adult brownies chocolates.

Pittsburgh Needs Eated said...

It sounds so exotic when you say it in french.

brownies chocolates avec figues...tres bonnes!

I think i'm going to go eat another right now.

Mercedes said...

These are stunning! Did you use fresh figs or the dried kind specified in the original recipe?

Pittsburgh Needs Eated said...

Mercedes-

I used dried mission figs, stemmed, roughly chopped, and macerated overnight in bacardi select rum.

Anonymous said...

They look delicious Lisa.

Caty said...

They look gorgeous! All squidgy and fudgy, just a brownie should be.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Fig brownies, eh? They look magnificent but I can't imagine the taste. Sound much more intriguing than these apple brownies though! :)

Anonymous said...

These sound delicious. In Umbria in Italy, there is a very old, small town called Amelia, where they make an incredible dried fig, cocoa, candied orange peel candy. They're called "Fichi Girotti" and they are incredible. I might have to try this recipe and add some candied orange peel to the brownies or some orange zest to the whipped cream. Or both! Thanks for this!

Caren with a "C" said...

Figs and chocolate ARE such a good combination! Those brownies look divine!