Friday, April 4, 2008

Matcha Financiers

Matcha Financiers

Matcha Financiers

I wanted to make green tea financiers, but I wasn't feeling confident enough to try a new recipe. I enjoyed this recipe for financiers, so I figured i'd play around with it and hope for the best.

Sometimes you can learn more from repeat recipes than new ones. I did a much better job making the browned butter. I worried i'd burned it, but it was perfectly nutty and rich. I added about 1/2 tablespoon of matcha powder to the dry ingredients. That was plenty; the resulting batter was bright green.

Next time, i'd omit some of the cake flour. I didn't change the other measurements, so my cakes were a little drier than usual. They domed too, which I think was a matter of too much flour and overbeating.

I haven't made many financiers, so let me know if you have any particularly good recipes. I might try some of the variations in The Sweet Life or a Payard/Pierre Herme book.

5 comments:

Cannelle Et Vanille said...

I love financiers... I made some grapefruit ones last month. you can read about it if you want.
http://cannelle-vanille.blogspot.com/2008/03/grapefruit-almond-and-brown-butter.html
Although they were gluten free, all you do is use regular wheat flour instead of the rice flour I used. They were very good.
I agree, I learn a lot more from repeating recipes. That's why I always just tend to use my basic recipes and add different elements. Great photos!

Anonymous said...

What a stunning photo. So, simple yet sophisticating looks. Just beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I love baking with green tea powder. I'm adding this to my must-try list. :)

Helene said...

Ehehe..we were on the same wave length: I just made matcha financiers this morning! I do have to walk away from them or it will be 2 hours on the treadmill tonight!!

Dr.Gray said...

The pictures are great. Looks very elegant. You did not mention the flavor of matcha. Was it strong enough with the amount you used? The color looked right, but flavor > color.