Monday, April 14, 2008

Chocolate Cake with Espresso Caramel Frosting

Chocolate Cake w/ Espresso Caramel Frosting

Chocolate Cake w/ Espresso Caramel Frosting

This is what was left of the second cake I took to work. The cake and frosting are both from The Cake Book by Tish Boyle.

The last time I made a chocolate cake recipe from this book, it was too moist to slice. I decided to test my flour measurements; the recipe calls for 2 2/3 cups or 322 grams all purpose flour.

I can be a little heavy handed with the flour, and my initial measurement weighed close to 370 grams. The second time, I tried gently spooning in and leveling the flour. This yielded close to 340 grams of flour. I had the same issues with the cocoa powder.

All of a sudden I couldn't remember how I normally measure the ingredients in this book. Normally i'd say pick one measuring scheme and stick to it. I really wish cookbooks told you if the recipes were primarily tested by weight or by volume.

Anyway, I added more flour than usual and my cakes turned out well. They didn't crown or crack much, and they were moist with a tight crumb. The espresso caramel buttercream was a nice touch to the otherwise traditional cake (please serve buttercream at room temperature).

No recipe today- i'm running out to grab a coffee and do some school work.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was delicious! I'm going to look up this recipe so I can make it for my little sister on her birthday. =)

Also, Lisa, how do you get your cake not to "hump" in the middle? (In double-layered cakes I usually saw off the bump of one and use it - cut side down - as the bottom layer.) I'd imagine it would be a terror with all those layers!

Pittsburgh Needs Eated said...

From my limited understanding, cake crowning usually has to do with too much flour, overmixing, or too-high oven temperature. It happens to the best of us (and some people consider it to be a good thing. A sign of good rise). I usually cut it off and snack on it if my cakes aren't level.

Cannelle Et Vanille said...

That looks so good... love the colors in the photo. Perfect layers, creamy espresso icing... fantastic!

Patricia Scarpin said...

It looks beautiful and perfectly put together, Lisa.

Jerry said...

Yummy!

Rachel@fairycakeheaven said...

Your layers are SO perfect!!! How do you manage it at all??? This is beautiful and am sure tastes amazing. So pretty

Brilynn said...

Both this and the strawberry cream cake are gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

This cake looks amazing and delicious . Well done!

Julia from Dozen Flours said...

This looks absolutely sinful. I think I might have to add this cookbook to my collection if all the recipes look this good. Would you recommend it?