Thursday, November 22, 2007

Apple Crisp

Apple Crisp

I love apple crisp. My mom baked it, my dad brought it home from California Pizza Kitchen when it first opened (if they still have it, it is completely different,) and my friend Mike always made it for potlucks.

It's much easier to make than apple pie and it dresses up just as nicely, especially if you have ovenproof bowls like the one in the second picture. I believe my roommate got those plates from her grandmother. I've had trouble finding ovenproof plates and bowls that are economical, pretty, and lightweight.

Once again, there was no one here to eat this. This is the first Thanksgiving i've been alone (though i'm having lunch with a friend and his mother around 2.) I can't really complain- I had offers to go home with roommates, and I could have found a flight home if i'd made more of an effort. I thought some time alone to reflect would be good. In hindsight, this wasn't the best idea.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. I hope you all have a chance to share good food with the people you love.


Apple Crisp
adapted from The Foster's Market Cookbook by Sara Foster
6 cups peeled and sliced apples
3 tbsp flour
1 tbsp corn starch
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
zest and juice of 1 lemon

1 cup flour
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into 1/2inch cubes
1/2 tsp cloves
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt

Combine the flour, brown sugar, oats, almonds, cinnamon, cloves, and salt in a large bowl and stir to mix.

Add the butter and cut it into the mixture with a pastry blender or 2 knives until it resembles coarse meal.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease an 11x7x3 baking dish and set aside.

Combine the apples, sugar, flour, cornstarch, and lemon zest/juice in a bowl and stir to mix. Pour into the prepared baking dish.

Sprinkle topping evenly over the fruit and bake 40-45 minutes until the fruit is bubbling nd the top is crisp and golden brown. Serve warm.

No comments: