Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Searching and Content.

Some of you have asked for a recipe index or an easier way to search this blog. I've added a google toolbar on the left. While it is similar to the search bar at the top of the page, I find it displays the content in a friendlier format (ie you don't have to dig through every post.)

This same result can be achieved by doing any search in google, then adding the text site:http://pghtasted.blogspot.com.

Part of the problem is words like "cookies" "brownies" and "cake" are often included in posts that don't have a recipe attached. With that in mind, I will try and compile a recipe index (for my own use as much as yours.)

I created this blog without much purpose. Now, over a year and a half later, I've been reflecting on what this blog is for and what content i'd like to include. I think it's best for photos, comments on cookbooks, and recipes. I don't want to do restaurant reviews, and I don't want to adapt the enviable literary style of blogs like Orangette.

With most food blogs, I look for interesting photos with recipes to try. Sometimes I look for comments on cookbooks I haven't tried or purchased. I spend much more time reading cookbooks than writing about food, so I think I may try and stick to a recipe-focused approach. We'll see. It's all speculative.

9 comments:

Patricia Scarpin said...

Lisa, I have been reading your blog for a while now and find it very inspirational - I love the recipes you choose and your photos are breathtaking.
I hope you keep on blogging!

pRiyA said...

thank you!

Unknown said...

That's the approach I've taken with my blog - it's coming up on its' one year 'anniversary' at the end of the month and I've realized it's mostly a giant online reference folder of all the recipes I've attempted, with photographic evidence, but for the world to see!

I really enjoy keeping up with your blog - you always have amazing photos that pull me in and make me set aside the recipes for later. I look forward to seeing more of them!

emilyclare said...

This is one of the most enjoyable and visually pleasing blogs I've come across; I like the recipe based approach... I like that we can form a sense of your personality through the recurring ingridients and arrangement of food. This is a thoroughly delicious place to be.

P said...

I love how you do what you do. If you're happy with it, don't change a thing!

Anonymous said...

It's so much easier to find things now!

Your photography is beautiful, it's so easy for food to look slimy and unappetizing when captured poorly.

Cannelle Et Vanille said...

this is one of my goals too, to create a recipe index... takes time though...

Anonymous said...

I live in Portland, Oregon, and am (somewhat) obsessed with Pittsburgh, which is how I found your blog and one of the reasons I keep coming back. I like catching glimmers of the city: why you love it, where you find ingredients and good food. I can't figure out how you manage to bake as much as you do but I find your sensibilities appealing. Oh, I also passed along your map of restaurants to a friend who visited Pittsburgh for business.

Pittsburgh Needs Eated said...

stefanie-

I'm so glad you mentioned that map- some of the places on it have closed or changed hands, and in the mean time i've discovered many new places!

I will update it. Thanks so much for your kind words.