Sunday, September 28, 2008

David Lebovitz's Chocolate Chip Cookies

Chocolate Chip Cookies


Chocolate Chip Cookies

When I saw this photo, I knew I had to make these cookies. I did a quick Google search for "David Lebovitz's Chocolate Chip Cookies" and found the recipe on Heidi Swanson's blog. It's originally from Lebovitz's The Great Book of Chocolate.

I really like this recipe; it has a good ratio of nuts and chocolate to dough. I took care to use good quality semisweet chocolate and toast the heck out of the walnuts, and I found that the cookies can have a variety of different textures depending on how you bake them.

I shaped half of the dough with a tablespoon scoop. I rolled the remaining dough into a log, chilled it thoroughly, and sliced it into rounds. I think I prefer the slice-and-bake method; the finished cookies were visually striking and crispy. The scooped cookies were substantial, chunky, and a little softer in the middle. Baking time will also affect the texture.

I'm going to make these again with pecans instead of walnuts. I really couldn't be happier with how they turned out!

7 comments:

pRiyA said...

oh i made these too. yes, they are very, very good. i haven't tried the slice and bake method though, so i'll try that next time.

helenahimm said...

Do you find lots of difference when you toast the nuts on a skillet or on a sheet in the oven??

Pittsburgh Needs Eated said...

I usually toast them in the oven. I tend to burn the nuts more often when I use a skillet.

Andrea said...

Those look so good. I've never made cookies the slice-and-bake method, but it may be next time I'll try it.

Patricia Scarpin said...

I could not resist making these too after seeing that photo, Lisa. They do look wonderful, and so do yours!

Snooky doodle said...

these look so so good :)

Anonymous said...

I have to say - yours look better!!
I'm going to need to make these now!!