Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Ranger Cookies

Ranger Cookies

Ranger Cookies

Emily Luchetti never lets me down. When I crack open A Passion for Ice Cream it's usually to make cookies. I'm particularly fond of the pistacio and cocoa nib florentines, as well as the walnut cookies, oat crisps, and brandy snaps. The recipes are simple, straightforward, and consistent. I always get perfect results.

I love eating these. They have all the best qualities of chocolate chip and oatmeal cookies, with a few twists. They're crispy and full of brown sugar flavor without that toothsome over-sugared texture. I used chopped premium organic flaked coconut that I bought from the East End Food Co-op. I liked the bigger pieces, and i'd suggest trying to find the big flakes of unsweetened coconut rather than the fine stuff.

In the book, these ranger cookies are sandwiched with peanut butter ice cream. I prefer them plain with milk or coffee. I'm really looking forward to trying the recipe again with cashews!

Ranger Cookies
adapted from Emily Luchetti's A Passion for Ice Cream

4oz/8tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup (2 oz) unsalted roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped (I used walnuts, and I think cashews would be amazing)
1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1/3 cup chocolate chips

To make the cookies: Preheat the oven to 350F. Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, beat together the butter and the granulated and brown sugars until smooth and creamy. Stir in the vanilla extract and the egg. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Add the salt. Stir the dry ingredients into the butter mixture. Stir in the coconut, peanuts, oats, and chocolate chips.

Using about 1 1/2 tablespoonfuls for each cookie, place mounds of the cookie dough 3 inches apart on the prepared sheets. Bake until golden brown, about 12 minutes. Let the cookies cool to room temperature before removing them from the pans with a spatula.

Yields 2-3 dozen cookies, depending on size.

7 comments:

ServesYouRight said...

Dear Lisa,

Many many thanks for your AWESOME package!! Totally made my week, not to mention, my day and my month! Adore ALL the treats you've put together - I might even share!!! Many thanks for your generosity and thoughtful-ness!

Bestest,

Smita

Cannelle Et Vanille said...

I love that book too. I have made several ice cream recipes from it but never cookies. I should try these because I've been on a peanut kick lately. Look great!

Anonymous said...

whoa, i've never heard of that book but i need to get it! good thing i'm going to kitchen arts and letters this afternoon. those sound like they would be *amazing* as ice cream sandwiches.

Pittsburgh Needs Eated said...

I love Kitchen Arts and Letters, Michelle. I've bought some fabulous cookbooks there, and the staff are always helpful and make good recommendations.

Gretchen Noelle said...

Just thought I would tell you I have made three batches of these since Tuesday. I had never had them before and they are going over big here! I have done peanuts and tonight was with pecans. Great recipe and fantastic cookies! Thanks!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Hi Lisa,

I have made these delicious cookies and they were a hit!
I'd love to post them on my blog, giving you credit for the recipe, of
course. Is it OK with you?

Thank you!

Patricia

eatme_delicious said...

Ooo these look and sound so good. I love the combination of oats, coconut and chocolate. I think I'll try them with pecans.