Tuesday, August 21, 2007

My Favorite Flan.

Flan

I took this photo a while ago, but I never posted the recipe. I recieved this recipe from my 7th grade french/spanish teacher. I immediately loved it because it tasted just like the 10-inch flans my father would bring home from the now closed Cafe Noir in San Pedro, CA.

I hate overly eggy or slimy flans, and this one is neither. It's creamy and light with a caramelish taste accentuated by the evaporated milk. It beat Frankie's Argentinian grandmother's recipe when we had an impromptu flan-off. I find it's also very hard to mess up!

NOTES: I have never used a gas oven for this. Electric is just fine. I also usually caramelize the sugar in a saucepan and then dump it into the baking dish, as i'm not sure what my cake or pie pans would do on the stove. I also usually use a Pyrex 9in glass pie pan instead of the cake pan. I used a 9 inch metal cake pan once, but it was a little harder to unmold.

Flan
1 3/4 c. sugar
3 egg whites
8 egg yolks
2 cans (13oz each) evaporated milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
6 Tbsp brandy or rum (I have actually done the igniting part. I bet it'd be cool though.)

Put 1 cup sugar into a deep pan (9 inch round cake pan) in which the custard is to be baked. Place it on top burner over low flame, stirring constantly until the sugar melts and turns golden. Tip the pan around until it is entirely coated with the caramel, then cool while making the custard. Beat the whites and egg yolks together, add milk, remaining sugar, and vanilla, mixing well. Strain into the coated pan, cover, and place the pan in a larger pan containing hot water (In Spanish this is called a bano de Maria, or "Mary's Bath.") Bake in a gas oven at 350 for about 1 hour, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool somewhat but turn out onto a platter while still warm, or the caramel will not come loose from the pan. Flans are at their best when made hours before and thoroughly chilled. When ready to serve, pour heated brandy or rum over the flan and ignite. Serve while it is still flaming. Yield: 8 to 10 servings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lisa,

This past friday, I made this flan recipe. It was delicious! I definitely made the mistake of not waiting longer for it to cool once I took it out of the oven. The caramel kinda was still melty and it just pour out on top of the flan.

Other than that, it was delicious! I had so many compliments and I had to just keep giving you the credit at the table. =)

-Candice