Monday, March 12, 2007

Tangerine Buttermilk Sherbet

Tangerine Buttermilk Sherbet

I'm home in Los Angeles for the week, and the glorious summery weather merited a refreshing dessert. I love buttermilk sherbet, but it's definitely not for everyone. My brother didn't much care for it, but my mother and I adore it!

This sherbet has a refreshing citrus taste that gives way to a creamy, mild taste of buttermilk. I enjoy eating it with a few little gingersnap cookies.

On a side note, work as an assistant pastry chef goes well. I love my new job, and miss it horribly. I'll be returning next tuesday, and at some point i'll tell you all about it.

Tangerine Buttermilk Sherbet
2 cups well-shaken buttermilk
3/4 cup light corn syrup
2 teaspoons packed finely grated lemon zest (from 3 medium lemons)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (or tangerine, in my case)
1/4 cup sugar

Stir together buttermilk, corn syrup, zest, juice, and sugar in a bowl until sugar is dissolved. Refrigerate, covered, until cold, at least 2 hours.
Freeze mixture in ice cream maker. Transfer to an airtight container and put in freezer to harden.

No comments: